Monday, January 18, 2010

Our Utah Snow Vacation was a Major Success!

First things first, we built this HUGE snowman as soon as we arrived at Annie's house.Psyche! It was actually tiny (see below) b/c the snow was not packing well. Nonetheless it was thrilling :)


All the cousins got to go watch Sy's karate class (he's awesome!), then we went to Pirate Island Pizza (think of a pirate -themed Chucky Cheese, only way better). Here's Mason,3, Soren,4, Alex,5, Sy,6, and Paris,7. That's right, perfectly ordered from ages 3 to 7. Annie and I planned it that way on purpose :)First night at Aunt Annies - a game of Old Maid.
After the kids went to bed, Annie and Craig broke out the Wii, which neither Paul or I had ever played. Annie showed off her dancing skills, then Paul braved it out with this disco dance- it was pretty hilarious. We also bowled and played tennis... definitely will be investing in Wii soon!
Here are Sy, Alex and Paris waiting for the shuttle from the parking lot to the Sundance lodge.

Paris and Alex took a 2.5 hour lesson together to start off the day. Here they are hauling their skiis up to the rope tow area with their instructor. I spied on them for most of the lesson, and they had no idea I was around.


After about 5 times going down the bunny slope, here there are for the first time in the lift line. They still didn't know I was watching. Although I was excited for them I nearly died watching them get on the lift (as witnessed in the upcoming video). I just wasn't sure they were ready....

Here they are on the lift- the instructor saw me and gave me a thumbs up :) I think she knew that I was nauseous with nervousness.

Here they are coming down the main hill... and still didn't know I was skiing behind them- darn worry-wart mom :)

Lunching in the lodge. We also rented skiis for Mason, but we chickened out, and he spent the day watching videos and playing in the snow with Paul. Poor Annie and Soren were sick at home.

After lunch, Craig, Sy, Paris and I took a few runs together. I honestly couldn't keep up with Sy and Paris- they were shooting down the hill like pros.

Here is a beautiful view from the chairlift.

Waiting in the lift line.
Paul and Mason watching us getting on the lift.


Major male, cousin bonding took place over the Wii. This was Alex's first time and he much appreciated the opportunity!

Our next snow adventure took place at Soldier's Hollow, where we went tubing. It was terrifying and thrilling (for Annie and I) and just thrilling for everyone else. Here Paris and Mason were just getting ready to get towed up to the top... Soren (who had no fear and went down by himself every time) and Craig are in the background.

Paul was like a teenager... this was definitely the highlight of the trip for him. He went down a million time :)
Here's Annie going down. This was before she perfected a technique for us (me and her) which enabled us to be in control rather than careen down at full speed, spinning around and around the whole time. Once she shared the technique with me, I actually enjoyed the sledding. My first time down I was going so fast that I crashed through the fences at the end of the run- very not appropriate.

Alex and Paris waiting at the top.

Paris, Alex and Annie getting towed up to the top.

After sledding, Annie took Paris and me to an adorable, fancy cafe and boutique for a special, girl's only outing.

That night Jeff, Cass, Bo and his girlfriend, Kiera and Maddie joined us for Thai food and dessert to celebrate Craig, Cass and Paul's birthday. Unfortunately my camera went crazy and this was the only nonblurry photo I could salvage.

Paris and Sy played "Stars Wars" for their final Hurrah before we had to leave.

The final waves goodbye.


4 comments:

Anne said...

awesome! that chairlift video is hilarious. we miss you guys and had such a great time.

Kristi said...

that looks like the most amazing weekend ever. I love all the pictures. I still can't believe you all skied...so jealous. The tubing thing is amazing, I have never seen something that organized for sledding. Love that Paul, loved it too. That will be a weekend that the kids will never forget.
Off to look at the pics again.

Julie said...

Omigod, what an adventure - I can't believe you squeezed all that fun stuff into one week ?! So cool that the kids starting skiing, and the tubing looks awesome. Your video commentary cracked me up, too.

Jill said...

okay, so much to comment on. i totally started to tear up watching the chair lift video. that is so nerve-wracking and they did great. that sledding video looks like you are in Antarctica, it's totally white. i think paul was the highlight for me. love to see him dancing and sledding and with frowning mason watching you guys ski. :) what a great weekend. next time, the lisi's in NYC.